Tuesday 12 May 2020

..Breaking News!.. new Gaslands competitor spotted!

Maybe it's the constant state of being inside during the virus outbreak but sometimes you have to create something bonkers just for the hell of it. Which is how a toy car from eBay bought for Gaslands last year took a turn for the bizarre.


Gaslands as I have mentioned before is a game of car mayhem where you either race or destruction derby your way around a track. Cars have guns, oil slicks, flamethrowers, rams and an assortment of other tools with which to aid in this destruction. The main cool factor is you can use any toy car you can find; Hot Wheels and Matchbox being the most common choice.

Once upon a time a child got this as a present.

This is the car I acquired from ebay for a bout 10 pence. On looking it up, it is a Woosh'n'Push matchbox toy car from the 70s. It is possibly one of the ugliest toy cars I have ever seen and has no driver.

So who is to crew this oddball car, well after discarding some vague notions of using an ork or an imperial guard model. I found shoved at the back of a cupboard this chap.

"Ey 'up there lad"

For those who don't shop in Lidl this is a Stikeez, a sort of promotional collectable plastic toy encouraging children to eat vegetables. They all have this suction cup part so they can stick to windows or flat surfaces. Our green eyed friend above I believe is meant to be a potato, although he could be something else entirely...


I found that by chopping off the suction cup part he fit nicely on the passenger side of the car. Who could I then use as the actual driver? Well when I made that monowheel ork big boss a while ago I used too much green stuff and so had a spare bit mixed up. Rather than letting it go to waste I turned it into a small doughboy-esque character. Originally I had no intention of using it for anything, but now I wondered if he could be the driver. After readjusting his left arm he fit nicely.

Manure! I hate Manure!!

A quick undercoat in white, followed by Macragge blue for the car, a brown wash on the occupants and some boltgun metal on the shiny parts and we got the above result. At this point the bizarro car got pushed to the back of the queue for another day.

A nice drive in the snow with your giant mutant potato friend.

That day arrived when my fiancée was ordering some things off hobbycraft and needed to make up the pounds for free postage. Which allowed me to pick up a Revell Weathering paint set. Now I just needed a test subject, ah yes that strange Gaslands car.

Snow Driving 101: Practising skid turns on the ice.

On looking at it again I realised it was far too blue and went about giving it a dark wash and then redoing the metal parts. At this point I took the plunge and using the paints from the weathering kit started to drybrush the areas I think might pick up dirt, dust & rust in a race.

I think mutant potato guy is going to be sick from all those spins!

I think it worked out quite well, gives the car that rustic raced feel. Next the two occupants needed some paint. A mix of bleached bone and mournfang brown was drybrushed over the bigger of the two, before picking out the limited detail of the mouth, glasses and eyes (I used a pen for them). I kind of feel it has a bit of Gorilla Monsoon look from the old wrestling days about him.

We've lost control, we're gonna crash!!!

The smaller driver was trickier as my green stuff skills are not great and he was certainly a rush job just to use some excess up instead of chuck it. Went for a greener skin drybrush and gave him some clothes in rhinox brown. Then did my best adding in the eyes and mouth.

At this point the vehicle was complete, but I felt it needed some weapons. A quick knife job to some stormcast feet sprue and then added to the front of the car grill gave the impression of some hidden machine guns.

Will you stop! ... see the breaks work fine and so does the machine gun!

There you have it, one of the most bizarre yet simple cars you may ever meet in the deadly yet entertaining world of Gaslands.

I have yet to name these two or the car so if you have any suggestions why not let me know in the comments :)

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment