Monday 4 September 2017

Movie Review: The Brain Eaters (1958)

The Brain Eaters (1958)


I'm Here and I Want Action! is a phrase barked out by a gruff military type in this alien threat B-Movie. On viewing the whole film I think it's a fairly good analysis of what I watched.

In the world of cinema the B-Movie is the runner-up to the main feature, the cast off that was there to amuse but not much else. So when I opted to watch The Brain Eaters I wasn’t expecting too much …


In this tale of late 50s america a mysterious object is found in a small town. Officials are sent to investigate as the town is slowly attacked by an unknown force.

Godzilla it is not, you can stop looking up.

This assault is in fact the work of sentient leech like creatures that can control the human mind. Cue the little blighters squelching around taking control of the mayor, telecoms and other useful people in the town with the grand plan being the whole of America (then the world I guess?).

Although this may sound exciting it’s really kind of dull and slow paced. The controlled humans are half-zombie, half-pod people and the only interesting thing is if you try to forcibly remove a brain eater it pours acid into your brain and kills you, lovely.

Later they killed Mysterio and used his head as a desk light.

The acting in this is passable for what is probably a low-budget feature and the effects are tolerable, I have seen a lot worse. Fortunately it’s all wrapped up in about an hour although there is the added bonus of a young Leonard Nimoy playing an old scientist who looks like he lost his way to a gandalf comic-con. An intriguing curio in what is an otherwise fairly bad film.

I can’t really say I’ll be coming back to this film as nothing really happens or is terribly interesting, but as a one off 50s, sci-fi horror it’s a way to spend an hour of your time.

1 out of 5 Pumpkins

No comments:

Post a Comment