Tuesday 14 April 2020

Painting the minis from Drakon the Board Game.

Now you may be wondering what sort of title this post is all about. By that I mean, have I just spelt the word dragon wrong or something?

She wants her treasure back!

Nope, Drakon is a board game made by the fine people of Fantasy Flight Games and designed by Tom Jolly. Within this game there are several adventurer miniatures looking for gold and a dragon who is not too happy about these wizards, warriors and thieves trying to steal her gold.

The tiles are nice and sturdy, good as they move about a great deal.

The premise of this game is tile laying to gain variable gold coins until you reach a value of 10 on which you win. Sounds simple but some of these tiles are nasty, the heroes all have a one shot ability they can use and if you meet Drakon herself back to the centre you go minus 3 coins. Games are usually quick, dastardly and above all a lot of fun.

All seven models lined up for a photo.

This leads nicely to the miniatures that come with the game. We have a Ranger, Sorceress, Thief, Fighter (dwarf), Druid & Knight trying to get away with as much loot as possible and then Drakon herself the Dragon. The issue is that they are all a pale grey plastic which sometimes makes telling them apart slightly tricky. Have no fear though as here at oldhammer40kquest it is time to paint them all....


Drakon
Where else do you start but with the game's dragon and hoarder of gold Smaug I mean Drakon.

Pay the 3 coin fine if I find you!

A great looking dragon miniature and although I originally though about painting her red, I decided a green dragon would look better. The gold stash she sits on was something new to paint and I botched it the first time.


Yes go that way, away from my hero!

The Ranger
Other heroes are so slow, we have to escape with the gold. Look how much faster I am!

Fleet of foot and arrow ready to shoot.

The ranger comes across visually as a cross between Aragorn and Legolas and I went for mostly greens to make him stand out a bit.

Quiver down the back bone!

The Sorceress
What a lovely trap you have set, be a shame if I just ignore it, light laughter whilst walking anywhere she pleases.

Klaatu barada ni'cough't'cough'

These models being small makes it hard to paint and I feel the Sorceress came out the worst, still the book or tome was nice to paint.

"Run away I summoned Deadites!!"

The Thief
Ah yes Mr.Gold himself, stealing other heroes gold or replacing your own in the hope of a higher value. Is nothing sacred when the Thief is in the same room as you?!

Stealing coin is what I do, no I don't know why I have a shovel.

Now an even smaller miniature, the thief is tiny. These minis are half the height of a Goff Ork and this guy is smaller than the rest. Having said that he has some nice detail and that shovel.

A fine blue cloak paid for with all that stolen coin.

The Fighter (dwarf)
Right lad let's do some digging, hold my beer. Discard and draw tiles, useful but not amazing.

Hi ho, hi ho it's off to the tavern I go! Mine's a pint of bugmans.

My favourite of all the Drakon miniatures. This dwarf (fighter) is really fun with his beer tankard and froth and large axe. 

I don't feel like gold coin hunting today 'hic'

The Druid
The award for ignoring coin mishaps goes to The Druid, it's a nice little ability that can win you the game if played at the right moment.

Halt stranger, I sense the presence of a dragon we must be cautious.

The druid was probably my least favorite to paint of the six heroes. The detail on the staff isn't great and her stance is a bit awkward.

I'm sorry I will not be relinquishing my coin to you.

The Knight
For a knight his ability isn't really on theme. Forcing a player to move and then taking one of there tiles can be beneficial but it is very situational.

To arms! Let us meet this foul beast head on!!

The Knight is cool with his mace and shield. Ready to take on the dragon in combat (Except this game doesn't work like that so no Hero vs Dragon fighting).

Guys!, Guys? Why is my armour getting warmer?!

There you have it, something a bit different to the usual 2nd Edtion orks or oldhammer stuff I usually paint and talk about.

If you are in lockdown and at a loose end I highly recommend trying to find a copy of Drakon. It is a lot of fun, supports up to 6 players and the rules are not complex so would be suitable for both adults and children.

Until next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment