Thursday 11 June 2020

Bad Moon Orks, they got all the Teeth!

Social distancing and self isolation feels alien to some, but to the miniature hobby enthusiast this is the best opportunity to get some painting, solo gaming or terrain projects done. With that in mind and putting down the How to Make Wargames Terrain book here is a photo of some Bad Moon orks who have been sitting about on the to be done shelf for quite a while.

Der Goffs got nuttin on us Bad Moons! (edited the image quality on instagram)

These orks come from across the range and although some are classed as being from other clans they are now fully integrated into the Bad Moons.

We av all da teeth to buy all zat good gear!


The main joy from creating this squad is the chance to add a bit of much needed colour and brightness to my ork force. It has also provided me with a challenge of trying to paint a proper yellow and blue paint scheme.

Quit messing around, need to show off our flash yellow and blue clan!




Let's go through the history and how I approached each mini of the squad, starting with the ork I'll use as a nob in smaller encounters.


Ork Nob: This guy is a bad moon model and on inspecting the bits box for arms I found a spare ork arm from the plastic biker set. This gives him a little bit of character showing a bit more cunning and calmness than the usual ork.



Ork Multi-Melta: This ork was a recent cheap ebay find. I always wanted a multi-melta in my ork army and now I have one. Great to paint up and even better for incinerating anything that gets too close. Oh and yes being an ork he is scratching his butt, a good alternative way to use up one of those odd shaped ork arms.


Sneaky Ork: I have two of these ork models the other one is going to be used in a different squad, the face is great and almost goblin like with all those teeth and then the nose ring is a fun addition to this orks face.


Ork Plasma Gunner: As you can tell by the helmet this ork is actually a Goff boy, but as I already have a load of Goffs he joins the bad moon squad instead. I find painting the plastic plasma gun a bit awkward as it is not as detailed as you might think.


Bad Moon Ork with Goggles - When I think of Bad Moon orks I think of this guy with the goggles and the moon shaped hat, plenty of character with this one.


Bad Moon Ork with Hair - I find this ork mini kind of generic, he has been in my collection for a long time and finally has a decent paint job. Previously he used to have a plasma gun but I switched up his weapon.


Ork Heavy Stubba/autocannon/bolter: This ork is originally an ork minder for the warphead. I found his height and more burly look suitable for holding a heavy weapon in the squad. The weapon is actually the back of an ork autocannon combined with a kustom shoota. For some reason when I picked up some additional stormboyz this back part came as a jump pack. Fortunately  it fit the kustom shoota nicely.



Ork formerly a Deathskull: This ork boy has so many odd details at first I thought he was a snakebite, what with all the bones and skulls. On investigation he is actually a deathskull. I decided for a bit of fun to give him a jay-cloth he scrounged from somewhere. As my deathskull mob is full of kustom combi weapon orks this guy joins the bad moons, maybe his teeth grow too fast?



Ork Bigboss: A classic rogue trader power armor ork. I was given this ork by a cousin way back in the early 90s who had half painted him. I stripped him of his white red and orange scheme and he now is in full bad moon colors. A great model who will either be a big boss or may lead the squad as a nob. Although originally known as power armor he is perfect as an ork in mega-armor.


A closer shot of the ork jay cloth on the deathskull, that's not a chipped bit of paint on the arm just a bit of flock that went awol.

Arrgh too bright!! turn it down!! My eyes are all yellows and blue!!

This group of orks were great fun to paint, with so many different features. Themeing them all along the classic yellow and blue  for Bad Moons was a treat to paint too. This squad has come out really well and hopefully will achieve great things on the battle field. Next maybe some deathskull lootas or possibly something completely different and not orky.

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment