Thursday 17 January 2019

New Year, Old Projects and an Ancient Evil

2019 is here and the cold weather is settling outside, the perfect climate for outdoor activities, no wait that is summer. This is the perfect time for indoor activities like tabletop gaming and painting. With that in mind; blows the dust off a very old box ...

Braawd Swoord!!


The Heroquest: Design your own Adventure Kit! Ah yes this is an amazing blast from the past. This is what you needed back in days of yore before PCs had become affordable and could only just about run Space Invaders. 

Dib dib dib dib
Yep this was where your imagination could run wild. Did you want a room packed with skeletons, did you wonder how many traps could be in one corridor & did you copy the teleport quest from the main game because you thought it could be done better? If so this was it, empty maps and stickers to build your own quests. I must admit looking back my own made up quests were pretty bad with some dubious rules and special items (The bottomless sack of food, which restored neither health or mind for one?? )


Many, many stickers!!

Why do I bring up this particular kit? Well because the Witch Lord himself is on the cover and not slouching about gloating like Skeletor but actually fighting the Barbarian! This action shot is fantastic with the magical energies about to blast the loin cloth brute into oblivion. Looking at this art and it strikes me that the model itself is so rarely painted like this. Normally he is more Khorne with blacks and reds which doesn't make a lot of sense as he uses magic. You know what that means:

Behold I have returned!

Ta-da my Chaos Sorcerer or Witch Lord substitute has finally been painted up for Heroquest. Tried my best to go for what the box art suggests with a blue robe and actual human skin colour. Is the skeletal face a mask or a warp of chaos? Either way it looks cool.

I have arisen in these frozen wastes once again!

This is actually the 2nd one of these I painted, way back when Necromunda was new and Wyrd Beastmsters had been revealed I converted one of these guys to hold a stub gun. So yeah in my Underhive the Witch Lord lives on luring unwary gangers to death by giant rats.

Maybe I need something to keep me warm?

For this one the undercoat of white, then black for the robes. Followed by Macragge blue for the robes/gloves, eleven flesh for the skin and browns for helmet and boots. 

Digging out this Gargoyle Statue has warmed me up! Now to reanimate it!

Well that's about it for this session. Tune in again for more old orks, maybe the Gargoyle will finally be finished completing this Heroquest project or something else ...

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment