Thursday 15 August 2019

How to unicycle your way to victory with Orks ... (part 1)

When that mini making, converting and painting bug hits it really is a great feeling. To then be inspired whilst already enthusiastic about a project is extra exciting. Today I am going to be covering an Ork project inspired by a photo of a battle report I saw recently.

Gyro-Stabilized Monowheel Mohawk Ork gets stuck in!
Battle report and Photo by Orj Etax 

I always thought the Gyro-Stabilized Monowheel was a wacky wargear card but I never saw the actual metal part to use one in my ork army. These days they are incredibly hard to find and expensive so what is a budding ork warboss to do? Oh That's right build my own from scratch!

Stop browsing eBay Wotclankz and help me!


How does one go about creating a gyro stabilised mono-wheel ork? First you need to find something that can be used to represent the Meks madness, a wheel. I used this wonderful toy* as a base, from a long consumed Kinder Surprise egg.

*Example image, mine came in fluorescent green and orange!

Click here to keep reading :)

With the moving monowheel parts assembled I needed a suitable ork. I could chop one in half but I don't really want to do that, however I do have a spare snakebite ork that normally goes on a boar boy so we shall use that. Now let's glue these two parts together, give him a base and give a first undercoat.

Hmmm that bright orange and green is still visible at this stage. 

It was at this point I decided to try something I had not used before, Green Stuff. The putty for creating works of art in mini form. How hard could that be? ...



Anyway after a fair bit of trial and error I managed to add a rudimentary belt, buckle and a couple of pouches. I'm sure with more practice I could create better things out of green stuff but I'm happy with this as a first attempt.

Rob Liefeld would be proud of these.

It's a big belt buckle, maybe he's from Texas?

I gave the wheel area some black undercoat just so I can re-undercoat it white later as the bright orange green plastic was still incredibly visible. Onward swiftly to my Bitz Box to hide some of that dubious green stuff belt. What parts from other minis can I use, hey Nazdreg's power fist could be useful on this guy! A victims head and hey some more pouches, yeah.

Head trophy attached.

That's a very big powerfist :)

I'll pause here, next time I may have added an exhaust or not, but will have painted him up.

Enjoyable crafting :)

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment