Monday 28 October 2019

Fly me to the moon, let me crash into a tree: Stormboy Orks.

Orks are not reliable, kustom weapons will blow up, madboyz will stand around drooling. Yet nothing compares to the Stormboy Jetpack!



Oh yes the joy of being able to leap miles along the battlefield for a deadly strike ... at that large clump of spiky cactus and deal explosive death ... in midair!? Okay so Stormboys are not great but they have character, buckets of it. 

"Attention! Lads there is report of chaos activity in the mountain!"

Ditch the ere' we go mantra it's time to get professional, regimental and organised! When I think of Stormboyz I think about old time wrestler Sgt Slaughter; not the american patriotism part, but the backstage promos: "Listen Up Maggots!". Angry but ordered and with great pride in there skills and equipment which makes them feel all a bit un-orky.

Camouflage at it's finest.


Now when it came to painting these guys I didn't want the standard drab grey uniform that is found in the codex. All a bit 1940s Germany and also a bit dull. Instead I looked through a variety of military uniforms and found the Georgian Hussars. Now this is more like it for orks, bright yellow coats and boots with red pants. Amazing!

"Ready and waiting. Drillboss Displeen wat orders?"

As you can see although these minis are mostly classic stormboyz the one on the right here is a normal blood axe ork I gave a jump pack too with his axe on his belt (nicked from a trollslayer). I think he fits in quite well and brings the squad up to seven.

Now I discovered one important thing painting Stormboys for 2nd Edition, these jump packs are incredibly dull to paint. They are just so large they take ages to prime, ages to paint and drybrush. the wide blank sections are good for a custom pattern but my enthusiasm dipped which is why the main bulk of the gubbins are a boltgun metal colour. I also discovered that no one likes to take photos of the back of these guys well I will rectify this right here.

"Present arms, ready for inspection ya orrible ladz!"

I went for a check pattern on the jump packs as I thought them just being one colour didn't exactly set the world on fire. I chose to use flayed one flesh and evil sunz red as the colours whihc I think turned out very well.

"How did yoose gits, get in my platoon?" 
"Don't matter fallout and find dem warp wierdies!!"

The Drill Boss has a plasma gun, yes I know most use Stormboyz for hand to hand but frankly they aren't very good at it. His ballistic skill of 4 though is useful so he can jump in and drench the foe in liquid hot plasma death, maybe.

AAHHH!! It all gon wibbly wobbly boss!! Shoot anything dat moves!!""

I tired to do a big group shot but my background is kind of small for that so here is some bizarre collage paint.net conjured up.

Until next time, happy Orctober!!

:)

4 comments:

  1. Great work. The yellow makes them look sort of like minions of a supervillian--very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of Orks being members of Marvel's A.I.M. digging the idea though :)

      Delete