Friday 11 October 2019

Dawn of time painting and the Black Orc

The year is 1992, Rhythm is a Dancer is in the charts, I get taken to see FernGully: The Last Rainforest instead of Aladdin and Ric Flair has become WWF champion.

None of these things are as important as the fact that 9 year old me for Christmas had been given Heroquest! Running through dungeons filled with orcs, claiming gold and potions of healing was amazing. The hook was in and then came White Dwarf 145! Which had so much mini goodness especially for Heroquest. (Well it did for 9 year old me). One thing led to another and one autumn day I got taken to Games Workshop in Hammersmith (child me oblivious this was the very first Games Workshop) so we could get a copy of the Advanced Heroquest Paint set.

The real tale to tell though is whilst in the shop I got to pick a blister pack of models as well. Now to child me this was crazy, new models and they would be made of metal! What to pick? Well I can't remember the thought process but I do remember seeing row upon row of blister packs beneath the colourful big box games like Space Fleet, Kerrunch & Battle for Armageddon.


The Giant Black Orcs. I own Mace 1 and Sword 1 but I have noticed my Sword Black Orc has his sword attached to his head.

Who knows what was in those blister packs I glanced through? What I do know is I ended up picking some Black Orcs. Bigger stronger foes for my Barbarian and Dwarf to fight maybe even use them as the Orc Warlord. With that and the big box paint sent money was paid and I went home a happy kid with the first lead to my name.


Here's the thing, my painting skill back then was abysmal and models made of metal in my young mind should be painted well. Taking the two black orcs out of the blister I realised these two were very different to the orcs in Heroquest. Nonetheless enthusiasm came forward and I began on the first one, after a little while I got frustrated. The previous orcs from Heroquest had been easy, bit of green for arms, face and legs, bit of brown or blue for the clothes and some metal/silver for the weapon. But this rudimentary method didn't work on the black orc, it looked a bit crap. With that back into the Box they went and there they remained a memory of failed painting.

The box is still around and some of the paints are just about going. Some of the included mins survived namely the heroes, the skaven and the orc. The rest fell foul of poorly thought out conversions or in the case of the skeletons brittleness.

I look back now and for a first time painter, Bob Olley black orcs are possibly the worst choice for a novice mini painter. They need proper undercoating, washes, a skilled hand for detail and a lot of patience plus they don't look like any other orc even now. I never saw the 'eavy metal team tackle them (anyone care to share a WD painted effort?). Seriously the amount of detail/holes on the chainmail and bear cloak of the sword orc is absurd while the faces are super craggy.

Fast forward to 2019 I'm still painting miniatures although mostly in the 2nd edition 40k sphere. Yet amidst this the Heroquest box has had all but one model painted (I will get he Gargoyle done). Which naturally led to these two black orcs which I still own. Can 2019 Alex do a better job than 1992 Alex?

Ere my Eyes!!, dat flash too bright ya bugga!!


Well yes to a degree. Here is Sword 1 Black Orc and as you can see he is looking a lot better painted up here. Still the detail is a frustrating challenge to paint properly I mean just look at those boots. I intend to use him in my 40k army as a nob for a group of makeshift boyz. The gauntlet works as a nice Powerfist :)

Until Next Time.







No comments:

Post a Comment