Thursday 6 January 2022

Bring forth the Giant!

Winter has come and the light begins to fade in the early afternoon. On the horizon a huge shadow looms out of the murk!

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an elaborately armoured ogre?! 

Holy crap it's the Marauder Giant!! Yep despite being firmly a Warhammer 40k painter, I do occasionally dabble in the fantasy side of things and this is one of the few models from the fantasy side of things I acquired in the 90s that didn't have something to do with Orks, Chaos, Eldar or Tyranids.

I do have some marauder trollslayers, perhaps they could be painted soon.

Look at this wonderful model. I think anyone who saw this back when it was released surely must have wanted one. The sheer amount of metal makes the giant a hefty model and the features like the barrel and the small sword and shield are great features.

A blurry shot of what the original painting was like for him.

The original paint I gave the giant was an all navy blue tunic and a very red haired face, it was kind of basic but I liked what I did at the time. As my skills increased painting wise I always though I could do better so I decided to redo the Giant. 
The process of putting the giant together again was a fair challenge in itself. Way back when I first got the giant I must have used a wheel barrow of superglue as when I was cleaning up the giant for proper painting I had plenty of fun removing chunks of hardened glue.

Those trollslayers sure know how to take out a giant!

Anyway after deposing of the glue from hell I got to work on painting the Giant. I decided that as it's such a huge model and didn't want to be dealing with parts falling off whilst painting I'd paint parts in segments, as you can see above. I didn't strip the head as I thought it would make a good base coat as it is for the face anyway.
I always liked the patchwork clothing used in various examples of this Giant so went for that kind of style, heck the lines on the model suggest this is what was intended.

Be he alive, or be he dead... um which way did he go??

Some of the details on the giants back are not really mentioned much. a fair few bottles, pouches and why does he have a frying pan that is only about the size of his thumb? As you can see I went for a variety of colours on the giant including an attempt at some stripes (this photo was taken before I tidied up the lines) my freehand needs to be smoother that's for sure.

I'll grind his bones to make my bread... wait bone bread? How would it rise?

The spots worked out much better than the stripes on the front. I also tried for a logo/herald on one of the patches of cloth. Not sure it really worked but it looks better than just a leaving it as a turquoise blue square.

Have some beer, to stop thinking about pint sized humans named Jack

No wonder those dwarves are always hassling the marauder giant he's nicked an entire barrel of Bugman's XXX strength ale! The fiend. I do love the barrel it's such a fun thing to have included for the giant model.

I assume he uses it as a pen-knife or for meal times, goes with his tiny pan. 

I often see people looking for the frequently lost/misplaced sword and shield. Amusingly my giant had this part left in my bits box, I think as kid I didn't think it fit with the aesthetic for some reason. Anyway I fished it out and really enjoyed attaching it back and painting up the shield and scabbard.

I should really find a larger non-snow background for these shots.

One of the perils of massive models is taking a photo and with the giant my usual background is far too small for a full shot. Instead here he is about to smash up some giant milk jug on a table. The base is actually two square 40mm bases glued together with some textured paint to fill in the gap in the middle. Added some wood to the top right of the models base to give it a bit of context.

It's not even a post about madboys and they are still popping up. Maybe the skull is for that bone bread.

This was the big painting challenge of 2021 for me and I am really happy with the end result. It was so much to paint up and made the lockdowns / pandemic woes of 2021 fly by as a distracting large project. 

Until next time :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the patchwork clothing and the impression that WH40K, somehow, isn't the same as fantasy

    ReplyDelete