Tuesday 25 January 2022

Chaos Ogre from the Northern Wastes

Hey oldhammer fans, it is time for another classic ogre to get a showcase on my blog. This is the first Jes Goodwin ogre I obtained many moons ago off eBay but it always came across as quite an intimidating figure to paint up. Mostly down to this particular ogre not being painted up much if at all in the pages of White Dwarf.


The Chaos Ogre is an interesting miniature, clad in some sort of armour with that massive face being the focal point of the miniature. Also this ogre has an added of challenge of needing a shield. A large shield at that.

Gonna smash those humans right out of that fort!

One issue I had was what paints I was even going to use on this ogre. With no particular theme to my band of ogres/ogryns I decided to go a bit mad with reds, greens and metals. His actual clothes beneath the armour is a leathery dark red. The armour started out as being just a classic silver/grey but this looked a bit drab so I started adding a bronze and metallic green to parts of the plating. 

Ogre artwork, not a huge amount out there but this one is fun.

The real fun was the face. The horns were simple enough but in the end I went for a violent furious looking red with some golden orange hair for the face itself.

Hope this warpstone egg isn't gonna smell too bad!

You can see from the back photo the leathery red I went for on the under clothing. This is a probably a good time to mention the base. Due to two of my ogres being on fancy age of sigmar bases I needed to give this guy some height. Taking some carboard glued together I attached that to the base and then covered it in Lustrian Undergrowth texture paint. After that I dry brushed it with bad moon yellow a fair bit. Finally I added some wood bits and a rock to the base. Then just for my own amusement I created a pool and flow of something with that wonderful Putrid Green paint.

When chopping up stormcast eternals, remember to loot them afterwards

The shield was an interesting side project. Looking though my bits box I don't own a great deal of spare shields. Warhammer 40,000 doesn't really call for them and I don't own a fantasy army which uses massive shields. What I did have was those three stormcast eternals that came in a magazine offer a couple years back. I got it as a gift and with no intention of using them for anything I removed one of the shields and found it fit the ogre nicely. 

With inspiration now firmly in gear, I hacked out a hole for the shield and started to rough it up a bit. With it looking like the ogre had stolen the shield off a now battered and dead stormcast eternal I painted it up with similar colours to the ogre himself. I think it's worked out quite nicely

Which chaos god do I follow? Which ever gets me to the enemy quicker!

Maybe another ogre is on the way or some orks, stay tuned and don't wander off into the northern wastes.

Until Next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment